Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Solo I: Undercliff - Washburn - Notch - Brook - Cornish

This route was Undercliff (y) - Washburn (w) - Notch (b) - Brook (r) - Cornish (b).   At a very leisurely pace, it took me a total of 3.75 hours round trip from the center of town (12:15 to 4 p.m.).

From Cold Spring train station, I went up Main Street through Cold Spring to Nelsonville and turned left at Pearl Street.  At the end of the street, you can find the trailhead for Undercliff (yellow).  It took me less than 20 minutes to get on the trail.


I reached the first overlook approx. 45 minutes later:



Second overlook (20 min.):


Junction with Washburn trail (5 min):


I turned right onto the Washburn trail (white), and it was another 25 minutes to the "summit" of Mount Taurus (Bull Hill).

From the summit, it took about 15 minutes to reach the end of Washburn and a junction with a choice of starting on Notch (blue) or Nelsonville (green).  I went left, onto the Notch trail.



After 15 minutes on Notch, I reached the weird and wonderful cairn area:



About 15 minutes later, I reached the junction with the Brook trail (red), and turned left.  I passed the junction with Undercliff (yellow) a little more than 5 minutes, keeping on Brook for another 10 minutes or so before reaching a fork, where Brook continues to the right and Cornish (blue) begins on the left.

I went left on Cornish, which took me about 30 minutes on a slow, gentle incline to reach road-level.






A third of the way down, it's worth taking a few minutes to look into the reservoir, where many of the logs are adorned with frogs:








When you reach road-level, don't go through the gate.  Instead, look carefully for a continuation of the Cornish trail on your left just before the gate.  The trail is often muddy, but it was entirely dry today.


It's just another 5 minutes on the Cornish trail before you reach the parking lot on 9D.  From there, you can cross the street and take another tiny trail (blazed green) - literally 2 minutes of walking - instead of going on 9D the entire way.  It's just another 10 minutes to town.

No comments: