Saturday, July 01, 2006

Cork & a Celebration of Lee

Ireland Trip Navigation: [first post]; [prior post]; [next post]; [final post].

The guy at the reception desk at Sheila's Hostel congratulated me on escaping Dublin. I was a bit skeptical of the inter-city rivalry (I am sure it is a rivalry noted only in Cork), but in all honesty, after two days and nights in Dublin, Cork rapidly won me over.

One of the first buildings I noticed on the road up from the train station to the heart of Cork; what caught my eye was the lovely blue doors among the light grey columns.


The spires of St. Fin Barre Cathedral rise like a dream of a fairy tale castle from the surrounding trees.


This airy church was on the middle bank of the Lee River among some nondescript buildings.


At dinner, I met a friendly local couple. Myra is a doctor, originally from Dublin, while her husband Jess does something in the art world (it sounded fancy) and is a native Corker. So apparently Dubliners and Corkers can get along, after all. Myra and Jess very kindly drove me around for some spectacular views before night fell and explained some of the history and attractions of Cork. Cobh Harbor was lovely in the twilight.


Not only is Cork prettier than Dublin, but also some of my ancestors apparently lived there. Significantly, Cork is built around the River Lee. I am very much in favor of Lee. There are Lees on all sides of my family.



A bridge over the River Lee:


A nice place for a walk:


The Lee has some rapids:


And of course the river inspires local businesses...


... as well as businesses as far afield as Kinsale.


Here is a view of the northern bank of the Lee, featuring a church spire and more brightly colored doorways:
Tomorrow the bike tour begins.

Ireland Trip Navigation: [first post]; [prior post]; [next post]; [final post].

No comments: