Sunday, October 02, 2005

Pilot's License for a Toddler

This weekend I took my 17-month-old niece apple-picking (where she showed a worrisome predilection for bad apples).

We also went sliding down a double slide (she was a bit uncertain about going solo, but I can see she will be a huge toboggan fan).

And we went flying! Yes, the highlight of the weekend, without question, was the game "airplane" (or as she calls it, for reasons known only to her, "mimi"). For those who may be unfamiliar with the tradition, you grip the hands/wrists of a small child with a firm grip, then spin around -- clockwise or counterclockwise, as suits your fancy -- while raising your arms and thus allowing the child to fly through the air via the miracle of centrifugal force. (Okay, I lied, it's really centripetal force).

I am pretty sure the FAA does not regulate this. After her first flight, I checked my niece for signs of undue dizziness, fear, jetlag, etc., and she seemed none the worse for wear. To the contrary, she was all smiles, jumping up and down and clutching my hands to encourage further flights.

We eventually worked out an enhancement to the traditional game -- I would take a few steps backward at first so she could start running forward (i.e., taxi for takeoff) before she launched.

In case anyone is considering other variations, I recommend against spinning a child around by her feet. It is not likely to be popular. My theory is that she felt a lot safer when I held her hands, because she was able to keep constant eye contact with me as we spun around.

* * *
Although we had a great time playing airplane, I actually traveled to and from Boston by train rather than airplane -- the Acela Express is more dignified and cheaper than traveling by airplane, not to mention more convenient and more relaxing.

I have also traveled from Chinatown-NYC to Chinatown-BOS on the Fung Wah Bus, which is a lot cheaper, but more cramped. (The bus is fine as long as you do not really need to get up from your seat during the journey.) Of course, there are multiple Chinatowns in New York City; the Fung Wah Bus leaves from Chinatown in Manhattan.

No comments: