Sunday, October 07, 2007

Soccer: Autumn '07

Tonight's victory gives us a record so far this season of 2-1-1. We fielded a lean team - just eight players, no substitutes - and in an unusual twist of fate, we had 4 women rather than the minimum of 3. My contributions were somewhat mixed, but I did manage to kick the ball away from the bad guys so my teammates could get it. Several times. That felt great! And I also (as usual) managed to get in the way of the bad guys from time to time. (One of them even stepped on my foot. Ouch.) But then I got spacey toward the middle of the second half, and managed to miss the ball entirely a few times when no one was even on hand to poach it. At one point, I remember looking blankly at a round object in front of me, which my foot had failed to touch, while my teammates were yelling "Settle! Settle!" It took an effort to bring my mind back into the game - oh, right, this is soccer, and I'm on the field.

Our opponents, the orange team, had a large turnout - enough for two teams, at least - and were wildly enthusiastic any time anything went slightly in their favor. But we were ahead the whole game, and spent most of the time nearer to their goal post than ours. When the final whistle blew, and we knew that we had won, we quietly walked off the field and geared up for the journey home (variously by tram, subway, and bicycle). Meanwhile the orange team cheered as if they were celebrating a glorious victory. They certainly had team spirit - and a good turnout at the ZogSports bar afterward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re the Clan Campbell,the word hatred is an understatement, simply they murdered a number of McDonalds in their own homes while being billeted with the McDonalds for 11 days and taking advantage of their highland hospitality, this was a "Murder under Trust" and as such never to be forgiven in the Highlands,the leader of the murderers was Captain Robert Campbell of Glenlyon, on the orders of king William of Orange, date 13th Feb 1692.

LeesMyth said...

Is it possible maybe they were provoked (e.g., salt in their porridge when they specifically asked for honey)? Or a simple misunderstanding (maybe they thought the McDonalds said they would be "filleted" instead of "billeted")? Or possibly they were framed by a rival clan?

In any event, sounds like I'd better watch my step on the Cleveland Way next year, if there are any Scotsmen in the group. Not that I'm thinking of anyone in particular, Bill.

Anonymous said...

Ask Bob re his lineage!!