Saturday, July 05, 2008

June, But Not Jejune

June seemed unusually busy this year, or at any rate it sped by.

I missed the Independence Day fireworks, but I caught the fireworks after the NY Philharmonic concert on June 24 (early clip):



From closer to the finale (listen for the quote of the day: "I wish I had my camera"):



And even better, I caught the fireflies in Battery Park after a performance of Macbeth (accompanied by a public service announcement from Stephen Burdman, director and artistic director of the NY Classical Theatre):



Very short (approx 11 seconds) video clip from "Vedi, le fosche" (Verdi's Il Trovatore) sung by the Metropolitan Opera Chorus on June 20 in Prospect Park:



June 26, I saw an a cappella concert. A newly formed barbershop quartet, Highline, sang a lot of songs about love and longing. We got front-row seats, but the lighting was not very flattering:



Highline was opening for an all-female a cappella group, the Metropolitones:



On June 27, I went to South Street Seaport to see the Waterfalls. I was somewhat underwhelmed. I'm sure they were a tremendous feat of engineering, but they don't look incredible way out in the East River, dwarfed by the neighboring bridges.




New York Classical Theatre takes a bow after performing Macbeth in Battery Park:



Earlier in the month, I saw another Laura Brenneman concert. Here's a VERY short clip so you can hear a bit of her sound:



This was her biggest gig so far, held at the Bitter End. It then morphed into a surprise birthday party for her at Madame X. Pretty cool.

1 comment:

Carolyn K said...

I'm a member of the Metropolitones and enjoyed seeing the video clip you posted of our concert! If you have any other videos of our concert, I would love to see those too. Please let me know: my email is web at metropolitones.com . Thanks!