Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter

I had a really lovely Easter, hosting dinner for a few friends. I baked chicken breasts with lemon and garlic, roasted some sweet potatoes, prepared a salad and invented two rather experimental home-made salad dressings, and made a slow-cooked lamb curry with spinach. Of all the dishes, the curry was by far the most popular. In all honesty, I will confess here that I made a few substitutions in the original lamb curry recipe. In particular, I didn't have any lamb, so I used chicken, beef, potatoes, and black beans instead.

People brought wine, cupcakes, and flowers, which made for a festive occasion.



It wasn't a very churchy Easter for me, as it turns out. I was on duty at church, but at the side door where one hears and sees nothing of the service. I was originally optimistic that I could nip into the "overflow room" in the chapel where they'd set up a little audio-visual system and maybe catch a bit of the music or sermon. But when I went over there, well... yes, there was a system set up... a nice big screen, and a projector showing live video of the goings-on in the sanctuary. But no sound.

There were just a few people in the overflow room, and none of them complained about the lack of sound. There was a couple with a very small, fussy child they were tending to. There was a woman who was sitting there, silently wiping away tears (I am pretty sure she was not moved by our pastor's oratory). And there I was as well, thinking Uh oh! because messengers from the main sanctuary came bearing tidings that they were nearly at capacity in there, and I was pretty sure that the silent film in the chapel would not appeal to all audiences. Luckily there was no further overflow.

No comments: