Sunday, February 26, 2012

Wildlife Drive

It is a truth seldom acknowledged, that no trip to paradise is complete without a trek out to the local wildlife refuge.

I tried to go with R and D, but misunderstood the bike situation and thus took a bike that was far too big for me.  After going nearly two miles standing up the whole way, I finally turned back and got a bike that actually fit, but that meant that I ended up flying solo on this one.  On the upside, it meant I got to spend as much time as I wanted gazing on the wildlife.  That came in very handy, as it turns out, since I spent about an hour watching one bird about halfway through the park.

But even while I was waiting to pay my admission fee, I felt I'd already gotten my money's worth because I saw a cattle egret catch and eat a lizard (possibly a brown anole - a non-native species).  The meal dangled clearly out of the bird's mouth - legs and tail splayed out - and the bird was so close to me!  Of course, I couldn't get my camera out in time to catch the egret mid-snack.  

If this cattle egret is looking a bit smug, it's because he just
caught and ate a lizard for a nice little pre-dinner snack.

The fish were jumping! Two or three times I saw a foot-long fish jump a foot or two out of the water.

If you look closely, you may be able to see the fish near the mangrove roots; they're all facing right,
Lizards are not exactly rare on the island, but they don't usually stand so still and close for a shot like this:
Brown anole (?) posing cool as can be.
I've lost most of my skill at naming birds, and I didn't bring any of our birding books.  But I think this might be a great blue heron:

Great blue heron


At a particular turn-off, you get to walk through (and over) a mangrove area to go look out at the bay.  The one sighting you're guaranteed -- if you know to look for it (or rather, them)?  Mangrove crabs!  They're cool scavengers... and very distinctly bug-like:


Mangrove crab.
 We have red and white mangroves in this area.  According to the Florida DEP:
The red mangrove is easily identified by its tangled, reddish roots called "prop-roots". These roots have earned mangroves the title, "walking trees". This mangrove, in particular, appears to be standing or walking on the surface of the water.
Tangle of mangrove roots.
(The red mangroves survive the harsh marine environment by excluding salt; the white and black do so by excreting salt, and that apparently allows them to thrive in saltier waters than the reds.)

A mangrove crab lurks near every knot or burl...
After these adventures, I came across a yellow crowned night heron.  Apparently those antennae-like feathers are for the mating season.

Yellow crowned night heron
I stopped to watch, and watch, and watch, because he was so close (great view) and so persistent in stalking and catching his prey - which seemed to be little crabs.

Mmmm. Crab legs!

Loved the bright orange eyes, and the beautifully classy black-and-white detailing on the body.


After communing with the heron for a long while, I moved on.

Ibis.

One leg, two leg.


When I got to the place where we sometimes see alligators, my phone rang.  It was my brother.  He wanted to know where I was and did I need help getting home.

Well, it was starting to get dusk...  I caved.

No comments: