Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy

The pre-emptive subway shutdown at 7pm last night forced my hand - did I want to be in Zone A or in high ground in Brooklyn?  I packed and unpacked my bags half a dozen times, before I finally hopped on the subway at 6:45 pm.  What finally tipped the scales: My workplace had just posted that they would be shutting down today.  That's how I knew it was serious.

A grocery store was open this morning, so I picked up a few small last-minute items... And a bagel place was open too for one last delicious cappuccino before I beat the retreat to work from home all day.

We'll see how long power lasts here, but so far, so good.  Watched Mad Max with a friend (a grimmer movie than I'd realized), now off to my online class...  Sandy permitting.

I was not at all sure about coming over to Brooklyn, and felt like a real wimp for evacuating, but over the course of the day today, I have been increasingly grateful that I did.  

Best wishes to all in Sandy's path -- stay safe.

No comments: