Sunday, January 27, 2013

Post-Mahjong Blues

Mahjong night turned into a 7-hour event, although we weren't playing the entire time (probably just an hour or so).  Plenty of socializing.

I had made spinach ginger soup (properly for once, with no substitutions) and chicken with apricots (with freshly ground garam masala - a real pleasure to crush open the cardamom pods and grind the seeds along with whole cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, cloves and peppercorns).  The dishes turned out well.  We also enjoyed carrots, wine, popcorn and oreos.  A really nice time.

This morning, though, I was achy and miserable, and lost a fair amount of the contents of my stomach in several sessions hours apart.   It was not comfortable to sit or stand or curl up under the covers (the only thing I actually wanted to do given the sporadic chills); but made do with hot showers and hot baths.  I wasn't sure I could even keep liquids down.  A change of scenery didn't work out well.  It was scary to feel so helpless.

No comments: