Sunday, April 08, 2018

Bluejays and Cardinals

So, today I tried to do a 15-mile point-to-point walk merely from the trail description (without a map), but backwards.  The first portion was well-marked, but then I got to a point where the directions didn't seem to line up as expected with what I was seeing and I ended up doing a huge, unexpected loop that brought me back to an intersection with the trail I'd come in on.  From there, it was rather demoralizing to backtrack several miles to my starting point (esp. since I'd front-loaded the hike with lots of road walking), but I just couldn't figure out how to get to my intended destination.  My actual ramble was a bit over 11 miles.   The walk itself was not particularly scenic, and it's not ideal to share the trails with cyclists, but some of the walkers were friendly, and overall it was a good excuse to re-listen to the early poetry lectures as inspiration for the final exam.   The highlight for sure was the bird sightings: two cardinals (male and female) and two bluejays.

Got home just in time to try to bring some rusted paint cans to one of the city's disposal events, but when I arrived I could see no sign of them -- I guess they must pack up early so they can make their getaway precisely at 4 pm or possibly a little earlier.




No comments: