Thursday, August 29, 2019

That Hideous Strength: Lewis Boosts His Friends

I (ahem) still haven't gotten around to discussing C. S. Lewis's references to "Numinor" in any detail.

But I think it's important to note that he wasn't only cross-promoting Tolkien in That Hideous Strength -- he was also cross-promoting Williams:
   "I  wish you'd read the poem I'm reading," said Camilla. "For it says in one line just what I feel about this waiting:
Fool,
All lies in a passion of patience, my lord's rule."


   "What's that from?" asked Jane.

   "Taliessin through Logres.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get around to what sounds so interesting an analysis! Will you also be attending to 'Numinor' in the (at least three) different versions of his poem, 'The End [later 'Last'] of the Wine'?

I his 1973 University of Toronto dissertation, Charles Williams, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien: Three Approaches to Religion in Modern Fiction, Colman O'Hare pays interesting attention to the removal of Williams references by Lewis for his abridged version of the novel.

David Llewellyn Dodds