Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Color Purple (Broadway 2005)

I had no intention of ever watching the musical The Color Purple.

For one thing, I typically hate musicals. I dislike the standard plot, which revolves around people making it in show biz. And for some reason I really dislike the usual "big Broadway sound," which is powerful but somehow hollow/tinny to my ear.

For another thing, much as I admire Oprah Winfrey (one of the producers of the musical and sure to be a key to its success if she promotes it on her show... or in her magazine... or on her TV station... or on her web site... or any other part of her empire), I have to say that I've seen a few scenes from the movie and found it extraordinarily tedious and unwatchable.

So of course when invited to see the musical, I end up agreeing to go.

The show is far more gospel-y than I expected (which is both good and bad), but it is really well done and entertaining. Act I is generally better than Act II, but even Act II has its redeeming qualities -- for instance, there is a wonderful duet called "Is there anything I can do for you?" which is sung by two spouses who have finished their chores and just can't wait to get busy. The jubilant scenes set in Africa in Act II are pretty cool too.

Well, the whole gang loved it (me, my friend, his family, and the rest of the audience). Ho hum, another triumph for Oprah. (Let's just be glad she's using her powers for good instead of evil.) The Color Purple now joins the select few musicals that I've actually liked -- The Lion King, Little Shop of Horrors, The Full Monty, Avenue Q, Frog and Toad, and Sunset Boulevard.

No comments: