Saturday, November 26, 2005

Thanksgiving

My family and I enjoyed the mild weather and sunshine of southwest Florida for Thanksgiving, as we have done for most of the past 27 years.



We no longer drive down every year from the midwest (that stopped 22 years ago when we moved overseas), but instead fly in from our respective cities. These days, as a New York resident, I suppose I'm actually the "southerner" in my nuclear family -- my parents keep drifting north. Considering their current residence selection criteria, the only suitable location north of them would be Alaska. I can't see that happening; my mom would hate to live so far away from her grandchild. (My sister-in-law's parents have nine grandchildren, and my mom was taken aback to see that they included a picture of "her" grandchild - since she has only one - along with the rest of them in their holiday cards last year. Seemed a bit greedy, or something. I pointed out that if my parents wanted nine grandchildren, they should have had five kids. You take your chances if you have just two kids.)

As always, a highlight of the trip was biking around the island -- there are wonderfully extensive bike paths throughout.



We are roughly in the middle of the island, so you can bike 5 miles one direction to a lighthouse, or 5 miles in the other direction to the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge. There are plenty of mangroves.


Many years ago, a supposed naturalist/guide told me that mangroves absorb radiation, so the mangrove forest would be the best place to be in the event of a nuclear holocaust. However, I've never been able to confirm his claim that mangroves somehow protect you from radiation. I still like mangroves though.

On this trip, we saw a crocodile (meaner looking than the more common alligator).



Later, in the Bailey Tract (a small nature preserve with ponds, set up for short walks and nature observation), we saw moor hens and a woodpecker, as well as a rabbit which might end up as an alligator's meal.



Pools are always fun for the kids. For instance my 18-month old niece loves to swim. Of course, this love has not really been put to the test -- we do all the work of holding her up and moving her along the surface of the water (it's great arm exercise) while she gleefully splashes with her feet.




The light is lovely and transformative. You can see the water glimmering in the harsh afternoon sun...



... and then everything becomes silky and softened in the twilight.



We enjoyed beautiful sunsets.



On my last night, I couldn't sleep. So at 3 am I went out to the beach and looked at the stars for a while. I even saw one shooting star -- nothing like the display in November 2001, but still.... "Every star shining brightly /Just like a million years before /And we were feeling very small /Underneath the universe."

I am so grateful for all these things.

No comments: