Thursday, January 19, 2006

MLK Weekend

Well, I stayed away from the office all weekend. The entire long weekend. So that alone is reason to celebrate.

Friday, I tried the vegetarian sampler at Ghenet, an Ethiopian restaurant with nice vibes. It was an enjoyable place to hang out, but the food left a lot to be desired, which explains why the rave reviews are all from a few years ago. I also got dragged to see Syriana, which was more gruesome at times than I was in the mood for. For some reason George Clooney reminded me of Orson Welles playing Othello. Not good.

Saturday, we went for bubble tea and massage in Chinatown. Very relaxing.

On Sunday, I got together with friends for dumplings at Ricksaw Dumplings. The chocolate dumplings were amazing. It's basically a fast-food place, but the kitchen is kind of cool and gleaming:


Monday I went for a walk in the park, then saw Fun With Dick and Jane -- funny and pungent. (The "Special Thanks" section didn't really do it for me, though.) I have to say that, although I enjoyed the movie while I was watching it, Fun With Dick and Jane really left a sour aftertaste. We are supposed to celebrate the comeuppance of the CEO when the money he stole from innocent employees is (against his will) restored to them on national TV, and we do. But the innocent people victimized by the hero and heroine are left uncompensated; there are no consequences for the beautiful people. (Not that Jim Carrey is beautiful, but I think you get my drift. It's okay for him to rob people, but not for Kenneth Lay to do so.)

In honor of Martin Luther King day, you should go check out some important news about New Orleans, from Army Corps of Engineers Calls Chocolate City Unfeasible:
Days after the Mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, predicted that New Orleans would soon be a “chocolate city” again, the Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) poured cold water on those plans, arguing that building a city out of chocolate was “unfeasible.”

Harland DeBellis, a spokesperson for the USACE, said that the agency had given plans for a city constructed entirely out of chocolate the thumbs down only after engineers painstakingly built a scale model of New Orleans out of Hershey’s bars and found the results “problematic.”

--Reported by Andy Borowitz 1/20/06 on www.borowitzreport.com

In other news, I learned that Regena Thomashauer (aka Mama Gena), who taught the flirting class at which I proved so abysmally inept, is in the midst of divorce proceedings. I am sad to hear it, although I have no doubt she will land on her feet.

No comments: