Friday, January 05, 2007

A Blast from the Past

Now that I'm cruising through memory lane (more on that in my next post), my mind flits back over old crushes. Unrequited of course, since that is the nature of a crush.

Here is Gabe D'Eustachio from my college days at one of our Glass Onion concerts. I thought he had a face like an angel. Not the romanticized "sweetness & light" type angels that are totally imaginary, but the ones that always greet people in the Bible with the words, "Be not afraid."



And casting further back in time, there was Nathan Lauer, who won me over (from a distance) with his habit of prefacing all his stories with "When I was in Taiwan,..." or "When I was in Shanghai..." It was exactly the way I thought of my life, since I too had moved so much that I always remembered events in my life with respect to where I happened to be living at the time. A girl named Linda French kind of tried to set me up with him, but I didn't dare admit in any way that I liked him (even as I hoped he would like me).

Then back in junior high, there was an unfortunate English-speaking Canadian named Robin, who was very sweet and every bit as lonely as I was in the Francophone environment of L'Ecole Internationale Le Verseau. I secretly liked him -- and liked all the attention from him -- but very carefully ignored him even though we both spent lunchtime in the English classroom (a repository of books, books, books, which I loved!). One time, he thought for sure he could get my attention -- I got up for some reason, and when I was about to sit down, he pulled the chair away and I sat down with a thud on the floor! But I continued nonchalantly eating my sandwich on the floor as if that's what I had planned all along.

Wherever they are now, I wish them and their families well.

8 comments:

Runner NYC said...

I can totally relate to remembering events by where I lived at the time! And, of course, to the unrequited love of crushes.

LeesMyth said...

Welcome to blogspot, runner nyc! :-) I'll add a link to your page....

Anonymous said...

...Just figured I'd hop in and add to the "A Blast from the Past" theme. Amazing what can pop up when one googles oneself.

At least someone wasn't annoyed by the constant, "when I was in....".

How's life? How does one leave an email address on one of these newfangled things anyhow? You can reach me through the website if you want.

LeesMyth said...

Wow, Nathan, thanks for stopping by! With a name like Smith, I never think of googling myself. Life is good here in NYC. I'll see if I can drop you a line through your web site; there's also an SJS alumni group for our class on yahoo!groups, if you're interested, although I only recognized a few of the names.

Anonymous said...

So, one of my staff decides to google my name and look what they found! Young, skinny, and a full head of hair. what are the odds?

Hope you are doing well. Thank you for the kind words.

/gabe

Anonymous said...

Cool, Gabe! Sounds like you done good if you've got minions searching the net for references to you. And you can't be that far gone if they were able to recognize your picture....
All is well here in NYC. Best wishes to you and your loved ones.

Anonymous said...

ha! I have some very smart guys (and women) working with me, luck of the draw that one of them found this.

I'm living in Sydney, working for KPMG doing computer stuff.

Haven't been to NYC for a couple of years, but it is a great town. Check out Jekyll & Hyde, bizzarre place.

I'm glad you are doing well.

/gabe

LeesMyth said...

I was at Jekyll & Hyde once for a magic show/brunch, which turned out to be completely geared for kids. For some reason this possibility never occurred to me when I agreed to go....

Sounds like a nice gig! I visited Australia with my family the last summer we lived in Belgium, and remember thinking Sydney was lovely. I only got to see the opera house from the outside though - my parents ditched my brother and me for their operatic evening. Oddly, the Australia trip is the only time I can remember fainting (we went to a water slide park where I managed to bang my shin really hard on the way down, and completely blacked out).

If you remember Chris Innerst, she married an Australian (they met in Boston, dated in D.C./N.Y./N.J., and got engaged on the Sydney bridge). So they and their kid (toddler) visit Australia every year.