Saturday, April 08, 2006

Spring in NYC

A Masonic Temple on the Upper West Side provides a reflection of the apartment across the way.


I'm not saying that spring is a time for reflection (although it is), but here's the next building over, with a nice reflected view of a limestone building framed by a flowering tree.


Magnolia blossoms against the white winter/spring sky (this weekend):



Dogwood [?] against limestone:



FAPC tower against the blue spring/summer sky (last weekend):



Alice in Wonderland mosaic, 50th St. subway station:



(Featuring the Queen of Hearts ["Off with her head!"], the Mad Hatter's Hat, the White Rabbit ["I'm late, I'm late!"], and Alice. In 6th grade, my friends and I acted out the tea party from Alice in Wonderland - I was the Mad Hatter, Annie the Dormouse, Emily the March Hare, and Tina Alice.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"No room, no room!"
"Why, there's plenty of room!"

Actually I played the mad March hare at the tea party! So I was mad too, but not as mad as you. (At least in character.) I remember wearing brown socks over my hands for paws, and drawing on a nose and whiskers with my mother's makeup. I also remember that we were searching for the perfect hat for you to wear. What did you come up with in the end?

I remember thinking that in some ways, each of us was perfectly suited to playing the character that we did!

I also remember that beforehand, Tina and I baked chartreuse mushroom-shaped cookies decorated with silver dragees to distribute to classmates for the tea party reenactment/book report. Mr. McKay, with his firsthand knowledge of the late 1960s, must have been highly amused!

LeesMyth said...

"Have some more tea...."

Of course, you're right. March Hare. The White Rabbit didn't seem quite right for the mad tea party, but I couldn't think of a third animal for the scene.

I agree, we all were slightly typecast. More so than with either Babe and the Big Blue Ox or Macbeth, where we didn't necessarily choose our own roles. Or did we? (I remember we all had to try out for Lady Macbeth... but I think we each got the role we most desired.)

Somehow I thought I snagged the Mad Hatter role because I already had the perfect hat -- a black plastic top hat designed for the aspiring magician. (It had secret compartments, a magic wand, etc.) I seem to recall that you wrote out the sign for the hat. Alas, I am fairly certain I lacked the requisite attention to detail....

I'd totally forgotten the details of costumes and cookies. That's pretty cool!