Friday, July 21, 2006

Omnipresent Summer Theme

My summer has been dogged by a particular song, one that has been playing incessantly in four different countries during the past three months.

Although I had no idea what the song was called, I recognized it by the first line of the chorus (something like "Oh, I'm on tonight") and a small but soaring trumpet line over an insistently catchy tune. (Not to mention the occasional cries of "Shakira!" in the background.)

Then today, I finally managed to decipher the second line of the chorus -- as everyone else on the planet will already have realized, the song is "Hips Don't Lie" by (who else?) Shakira.

So, what can I say other than: Congratulations, Shakira. If you are getting even a tenth of the royalties to which you are entitled, you should be able to retire on this one. Best wishes for wisdom and grace.

No comments: