Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ugh.

On the subway, I'm seeing ads for a new TV series about a serial killer. It looks like it's supposed to be a comedy (presumably a dark comedy). I can hardly begin to explain how utterly depressing this is. I can see several potential downsides to this show, and no up-side.

Even if the potential downsides never materialize, it's a pity that our culture is apparently so permissive that the rebellious artists in our midst (if that's what the purveyors of this show are) need to resort to ever-greater extremes to be outlandish.

And the potential downsides -- further undermining respect for life among the weak-minded and those who are already marginally criminally inclined, and possibly inspiring copycats -- will not be prevented even if this show is canceled after the first season. In the electronic era, every video, movie or TV show is immortal. It will always be available somewhere to be revived, distributed on the internet, shown in eternal re-runs, etc.

Totally depressing. And it makes me wonder how we can survive as a society, when we are so saturated with entertainment that people are actually paid to think up and implement totally anti-social ideas to try to satisfy the demand for novelty. What next?

As I think about it though, I have to admit I'm less disturbed by one-shot deals, e.g., movies that try to crush or undermine everything that makes life worth living, or that try to break every taboo, etc. Such movies have a similar "persistence" problem for their anti-social effects, but I find the TV series more troubling. Perhaps because it means the creative team has likely already generated 16+ hours of video for this single theme and character, a character who is intended to draw people in (the advertisements make it clear that this anti-hero is intended to be "handsome" and "charming").

Sigh. Thank goodness I don't have to watch the show -- the macabre subway ads are plenty ghoulish enough for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, the show is on cable (limited audience) and the serial killer is a killer of serial killers. I don't understand the attraction myself and won't be watching it. I'll let you know if I hear any feedback about it (Scott's partner intends to watch it).

LeesMyth said...

Well, the subway ads made it clear from the beginning that it was on a cable channel (for now - the borders are obviously porous because popular cable shows have been known to cross over to network TV). To my way of thinking, it makes no difference. No audience is really limited these days. It'll reach internet or other venues one way or another.

The fact that it is about a serial killer of serial killers does raise some new issues. Once the protagonist realizes he is a serial killer, shouldn't he kill himself? But I digress. That does put a different spin on things -- less anti-social in some sense (he's killing the bad guys, just like Clint Eastwood!).

And I won't complain here -- because I don't complain about it in Die Hard/Lethal Weapon/etc. -- that the hero is acting as judge, jury & executioner for the bad guys... even though it is contrary to the rule of law!