Monday, October 23, 2006

Embracing My Inner Carnivore

Even when I was dating a vegetarian, I was never a vegetarian. Probably half the time we went out, I ordered steak. (It's the contrarian in me; I simply can't resist the opportunity to tease.) But it has been quite a while since I bought meat to cook at home.

So it was exciting recently to try some new meat recipes. The first foray was uninspiring, but the next two I tried were fabulous. One was a recipe for the "best burger" (secret ingredient is worcestire sauce) and the other recipe was for "shredded-chicken wraps with avocado, cucumber and cilantro".

They were both really good. Especially the shredded-chicken recipe. I added a few extra ingredients to the chicken mixture (including 1/4 mango and 1/3 C cherries), and it made an excellent stew. In fact, it was so delicious by itself, I never got around to putting it into wraps with the avocado and cilantro.

On both occasions, I was entirely delighted with the delicacies that I had cooked up from scratch. It was an almost biblical moment, to create something and pronounce it very good.

No comments: