Sunday, May 20, 2007

New Jersey Eye for the New York Skyline

Back at the end of April, I visited a college friend for her red-haired son's first birthday. This is probably my last chance to see them before they move (in her case back) to Los Angeles. But quite frankly I might actually see her just as often in L.A. as N.J.

The ferry ride back from N.J. to NYC really opens up a different view -- a vista that we all lose sight of in the canyons or trenches of the city. (I love that the water taxis are bright yellow like their terrestial siblings.)


From the ferry terminal, we get the momentary illusion that the Empire State Building was built in a park, rising above the greenery.

Even when I returned to the heart of Times Square, I still saw things differently for a short time.


My friend is moving for her huband's career and accepting a transfer for her own job. Some women would seize on the opportunity to take some time off to try full-time motherhood, but I don't get the sense that she is interested in this. She is a career woman, like her mother before her.

No comments: