Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Spring in Winter

Though the weekend was largely gray (especially today), there was a touch of spring in the air.

Thursday I went to my second French conversation club meeting. It was fun, but very challenging. Three guys were particularly patient with me and really kept the conversation going - before I knew it, I'd spent 3 hours there. Although I'm going to need to do some homework to build up my vocabulary. D told me about a French language church that also gives free French lessons at various levels (even to nonmembers!), which would be perfect if I had a Sunday free in the foreseeable future.

After a traumatic appointment with my dentist Saturday - I was there for almost 4 hours, though the actual work took about 20 minutes - I moped about for a bit, unable to eat or sleep, then went for a walk in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The weather was vacillating between gorgeous blinding sunlight and ominous stormclouds. That didn't do much for me either, but it was nice to see some of the early cherry blossoms and the Shinto gate in the Japanese pond garden.

Sunday, brunch with the usual suspects, and then a few pictures:


I like the river of cars by the East River, though this still looks pretty dismal:


Brightening things up a bit, some spring flowers:

No comments: