Saturday, February 28, 2009

Prunes

For some reason, my little niece is crazy about prunes. Her parents have imposed a limit on the number she can eat each day (I think it's three), but if she's permitted to select her own "three" from the bag, it usually turns out to be four or five.... and it's not exactly a counting problem.

This made an impression on me. Very small children may have their own biases based on the smell or appearance of particular foods, but they are generally free of the learned biases - such as "prunes = dentures".

So I decided to give prunes a chance, and now they're one of my favorite snacks. They're so sweet ... and packed with nutrients (at least relative to their weight and volume, presumably because the water has been taken out of the plum).

First oatmeal (thanks, Mom), now prunes (thanks, Clara). What next?

No comments: