Monday, November 02, 2009

Halloween Weekend

At the art show Thursday night, they chose 3 winners in each of 5 categories (painting, drawing, photography, crafts, and sculpture).* I didn't necessarily agree with their choices. For instance, the two most stunning photographs were of a fjord in Ireland (an amazing moment in time, capturing the smooth lines of a curving wake or tide) and an alligator breaking the surface of a reflected wooden fence (so abstract, it takes a few moments to understand the picture). There were also a few phenomenal photographs of people on display. Overall I was really pleased with the variety of talent and imagination on display - very cool.

Friday, I saw Where the Wild Things Are - the less said about that, the better. Luckily, it was only a $6 nap. And I enjoyed a garden burger at the Tick Tock Diner afterward.

For Halloween, after a scary encounter with my dentist, I took it easy most of the day. Then I went for Ethiopian food at a new restaurant called The Red Sea. I strongly associate Ethiopian cuisine with Washington, D.C., so it was novel (for me) to try it in Manhattan. It was fun to sit by the window and watch all the trick-or-treaters and party-goers traipse by. A lot of butterflies and bees this year. Even more exciting, I finally saw the entire Lion King show (a mere 10 years after seeing only the second half). The music, puppetry, and choreography are so thrilling. I love it. And "They Live in You" took my breath away... it would coincidentally have been a perfect addition to the All Saints' Day service at FAPC (less lugubrious and more moving).

Sunday, some bad news: G-san tried to run the marathon even though she was sick, and got a really bad migraine. As of today, I'm not sure her migraine has lifted... her neighbor apparently decided to do some construction during the day, which didn't help matters. But U-chan and I met up anyway and wandered around Saks for a while (just browsing, thank you) before going to Houston's aka Hillstone's for dinner. Despite the name change, I was able to get my jungle thai steak salad (a dish which by any other name tastes as sweet).

Today, I managed to pull a muscle in my left shoulder and experienced shooting pains most of the day. Ugh. But now, 14 hours later, it seems to have subsided to a large degree, as long as I don't turn my neck, and the upside is that it's just the excuse I needed to go see my G.P. I'm not good with the whole "annual physical" concept, so it's been about 3 years.

------
FN* : Predictably, photography was the most popular category -- it's a very accessible art, especially in the age of digital cameras where (even with mediocre equipment) you can literally take thousands of photos and delete all the bad ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did not know that there are fjords in Ireland, thought these were Nordic things, Loughs maybe (?)
Whatever, you can show them to me when we go there.
On that subject, note that you are on familiar ground there as you have searched for the "Ring of Kerry" on last trip there.
Ho ho.

LeesMyth said...

I thought fjords were strictly Scandinavian as well... But the photo was captioned "Fjord, Ireland" and we all know that captions don't lie!!!

LeesMyth said...

For what it's worth, a few internet sources say that Ireland has exactly one fjord; apparently it is in Killary Harbour near Leenaun, County Galway, on the west coast.

And come to think of it, I did once go kayaking on the "Russell Fjord" in Alaska (it was an uncrowded approach to the Hubbard Glacier).