Saturday, May 22, 2010

BBG & My Garden

It was great to walk through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden with my mom, because she knows the names of most of the plants! Otherwise, the signs can be a bit haphazard at times (sometimes a sign is ambiguously placed near several plants; you have to know what you're looking for).

I was struck by the Holstein-style black spots of the foxglove:


This was one of my favorite roses, just lovely color:

These may be "siberian" irises. There were also some smaller water-loving irises which were very delicately marked, but the pictures didn't come as well:

About as lush as it gets, a very soft color for the petals:


I'd planted lavender, basil and parsley in my window box at one time, but they only lasted for a season and were long gone. But to my surprise, my mom brought some violas with her as a housegift - and planted them for me!! (Using a spoon, for alas I had no trowel -- but a true gardener can make do with inferior tools, it seems.)


No comments: