Saturday, May 15, 2010

Is My Life Too Small?

I noticed last year that my life was getting smaller (narrower in scope, if you will) to match Z's life; by comparison with him, my life is indeed varied and deep. But it's not really what it could be. I've noticed some signs recently of this -- the most unexpected was when I asked someone at my bank to notarize a document for me, and she challenged me to tell her what I was going to do with my money. What were my plans for it? This line of thinking can be applied to virtually every area of my life. I'm not taking full advantage of anything here in New York, at the moment. Of course, as we've seen, with some irony, in Lem's Cyberiad, omnipotence is most omnipotent when it does nothing at all. But in real life with our limited powers and resources, possibilities and potentials wither and fail, forever foreclosed, if they are not seized. Doing nothing does not keep all the doors of possibility open; they will close of their own accord over time.


2 comments:

MomVee said...

This is funny, because I have been admiring you for the fullness of your life--as an aunt, an athlete, a church member, a nature photographer--and wondering whether there was some way to gently hold you up as a model to another friend I have who seems a little bereft of late.

LeesMyth said...

That's so sweet of you. I do hope your friend will find ways to fill his/her life with things that bring him/her joy.