Sunday, January 23, 2011

NYPL in Winter

For a long time, I was climbing a minimum of 14 flights of stairs each day - and often 18 or more. That ended about six months ago with the Grand Experiment. Now, there are days when I don't climb any stairs at all.

So when I decided to walk downstairs from my apartment on Friday, that was a bit of a shock to the system - 20 flights all in one go. Then I kept climbing all weekend, and finished up with some short and long walks. Let's just say I now have a very strong urge to soak my legs in hot water. Instead, I will go back out into the cold again for my French acting class. Sigh.

But I digress. The short walk on Sunday was a stroll from FAPC to NYPL and back again, to see the "Three Faiths" exhibit at the library and then join in an interfaith discussion among liberal Presbyterians, liberal Reform Jews, and liberal Muslims.

It's been a while since I've been to the main library. I liked the snow-highlighted lions:

For the first time I noticed that the external architecture and lanterns...

... was echoed inside as well:

The exhibit was interesting, and it was nice (initially) to have a private tour. Unfortunately, the tour group quickly snowballed, and it became difficult to see anything. I'll have to go back and see things at my own pace. And also try out the Scriptorium.

Afterward, I walked back to the church for the inter-faith discussion. Of the 7 people at my table, only 1 was Muslim. It would have been very helpful to have a second Muslim at the table, since the other six of us were (I believe) most eager to hear about Islam as the newest and least familiar of the three faiths. Our Muslim table-mate was very nice, and seemed to be very open-minded and encouraging of her son who has spent religious holidays with his two best friends, one Christian and one Jewish.

One person at our table was adamant that all religions are essentially the same, and further asserted that it only matters that you are a good and ethical person. I don't agree with her. To me, it seems clear that there are some pretty significant differences -- and of course, unless God is a human invention, it seems likely that some religions will inevitably be nearer or farther from the truth about God. Maybe she's right that the only thing that ultimately matters to God is whether you are a good and ethical person -- but ironically that appears to be a point of difference among the three religions. It sounds a lot like the concept of being "saved by works" (rather than by God's grace as seen in Protestant creeds) and implicitly assumes that humans are capable of being good people and eschewing sin (even though Jesus re-defined the 10 Commandments in a way that ensures an epic Fail for each and every one of us). But she clearly meant so well, I didn't have the heart to challenge her. It didn't feel like the time or place for that kind of engagement or grappling with each other, even in the name of greater understanding.

Our panel of three religious leaders - a rabbi, a pastor, and an imam - fielded a series of questions. There were prepared questions, which were good, but my favorite questions were from the audience (albeit screened by the moderator).

All three panelists came across really well. They even raised the right questions about the concept of inter-faith dialogue. The key one being, in essence: Aren't we preaching to the choir here - isn't it the folks who would never consider attending, who most need to go?

And our panelists also provided an answer I hadn't thought of: These events may provide moderates with actual knowledge and experience to help curb the extremists. Ammunition for the good fight, if you will.

No comments: