Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Storytelling

I don't think of myself as a person who can tell stories very well. But I ended up re-telling the beginning of The Hobbit to my little nieces. It's the part where Bilbo, who most emphatically does NOT crave any adventures, thank you very much, nonetheless invites Gandalf to tea and then is rewarded with 13 dwarves showing up to consume all the contents of his larder and hire him on as their burglar.

I wasn't sure if my nieces were familiar with the story, so I didn't use the actual character names (I would not have been able to remember all of them in any event!). I didn't remember the exact sequence of events, or the exact contents of Bilbo's pantry, so I just made up the details consistent with the basic thrust of the story... and consistent with treats that young children might enjoy. The girls loved it. Mind you, they will likely become a far more critical and discerning audience in the future. But what a thrill to find that I could put together a story that was sufficiently entertaining for them now!!!

No comments: