Monday, May 21, 2012

Weekend Reflections

My weekend kicked off Thursday when I got together with G-san and U-chan to see "Dark Shadows." We met up at the Tick Tock Diner, where I made the mistake of ordering a turkey burger, and they made the mistake of ordering "disco fries" in honor of Donna Summers.  The BLT and BALT were apparently pretty good though - something to keep in mind for next time.

I liked some aspects of "Dark Shadows," but it ultimately left me unsatisfied - feeling as if I'd been slightly cheated, somehow, by this particular celebration of misfits matched.  There's just something disheartening about the combination of relentlessly unpleasant eccentricity + grafted-on happy ending.  There were also some very predictable plot twists.  For instance, I easily guessed what would happen after our hero speaks with the villain in the villain's conference room,  and the little "reveal" at the end (sequels, anyone?) was no revelation.  On the other hand, I didn't foresee the teenage daughter's secret... but I wish they'd made more of it rather than a mere "Booyah!"   Oh well.  

A few scenes from the end of Saturday's unambitious skating jaunt (from 75th down to Vesey Street):


Look carefully for the assisted hand-stand in the center of the picture.  I just love that!!!

View from dinner at Le Pain Quotidien
(that bit of green is the Irish Hunger Memorial) 

Love this intersection of light and surfaces

Illusion of seeing through the clean frame of the building

Irish Hunger Memorial

On Sunday, I spent several hours in the evening reading on the rooftop for class (and for the paper I will present at Mythcon).

Sun-dappled

Nice contrast between distorted and pure reflections.

Reflected sunset

Close-up


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura,what is Mythcon?
Bill

LeesMyth said...

The annual conference of the Mythopoeic Society, a not-for-profit organization which describes itself as "a national/international organization promoting the study, discussion, and enjoyment of fantastic and mythopoeic literature.... We are especially interested in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams, prominent members of the informal Oxford literary circle known as the 'Inklings' (1930s-1950s)."