Tuesday, May 08, 2012

RIP Maurice Sendak

Sad news from the NY Times.

I particularly loved "Where the Wild Things Are" and "What Do You Say, Dear?" (a very funny book on manners for children, which he illustrated).

During my freshman year of college, my next door neighbor and I used to leave messages on each other's doors inspired by his "Chicken Soup with Rice."

I saw him twice in person, and my admiration for him only increased; he came across as a real mensch, down-to-earth and very funny. 

More recently, I saw an exhibit celebrating (among other things) his broad-ranging artistic interests at the Jewish Museum in New York City -- he'd branched out into ballet and opera as well as story-telling and illustration.

I will always remember reading and re-reading a mini-collection of four of his works to my little nieces.  They knew the works nearly by heart, and were delighted whenever I would try to sneak in a word change here or there for comic effect. 

R.I.P. Mr. Sendak, you will be missed.  Thank you for bringing such joy into so many lives. I will make a pilgrimage to your leaf at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden this evening in your honor.


No comments: