Sunday, December 09, 2012

Entertainment This Week

I feel like I'm slowly reconnecting to NYC.  Maybe.  Here's what was on this week:

Survived a much dreaded presentation in White Plains, then somehow caught "The Heiress" on Broadway (recommended by Time Out NY) on my way home.  This was really good, although I had a bit of shock of recognition/empathy with the socially awkward heroine.  The 1948 movie was highly recommended to me, so I've requested it through the public library.

Small group (aka home fellowship group) - last week, I provided dinner (another variation on chickpea masala), this week I just attended and enjoyed the taco/fajita DIY. 

"If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet" on Broadway -  I took a chance on another 5-star recommendation from Time Out NY, and was underwhelmed.

Patricia's Christmas party - this was nice.  Managed to escape the talent show though.

Hiking in Beacon - 10.5 miles (including 4 miles road walking to and from the train station).  Very foggy, so not much in the way of views.  But good.  I listened to Tolkien Professor podcasts.  Let's not talk about the mile I walked up the wrong path (one of those well-trodden and poorly marked trails that are not part of the formal trail system) and slipped on the slick leaves and fell and bruised the back of my left thigh.  That will just be our secret, OK?

9am service at Trinity Wall Street, followed by some progress on my "Songs of Peril" paper for an upcoming conference, and then Handel's "Messiah" at 3pm.  Which was really good. Although I was surprised to see how many "female" singing parts (alto, and even soprano) were taken by men.

Just saw "Meet Me In St. Louis" for the first time. Funny.  And very sweet. Absolute treacle. But also with a side of weird violent child fantasies that would probably never make it into a modern movie.  It's also weird to see a movie in which the key point of optimism is the decision NOT to move... I'm speaking as one who moved every 3 or 4 years throughout my childhood.  There are some "surprising" innuendos (surprising only to those who assume that the 1940's were a more innocent time).  Of course, this was a 1940's movie set in the 1900's...already self-consciously nostalgic.  

No comments: