Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Passport Caper and Other Stories

This week, I've had to go to Brooklyn three very early mornings in a row to let in the contractors; each time, I brought a few fragile items with me. Meanwhile, I've been packing and purchasing moving supplies bit by bit.

But the main day I'd set aside for packing and cleaning was yesterday.  And it was when I took out my passport as one of the things I would keep on me (rather than throwing into a moving box) that all my bold plans got derailed - because I realized that my passport was set to expire in two months, and I need to use it one month from now. The airlines might not let me fly if I don't have at least asix-month buffer. So I filled out the expedited renewal application online. Then I had to go buy paper to print out the form. Then I had to find a place to get my passport photo taken. And then I had to find a post office that was open on Saturday (somewhat trickier than one might imagine, in my neck of the woods) - UPS would have been easy, but they can't deliver to that address.  So this all took 2-3 hours.

But I can't complain (or at least I won't) because I also made time for fun this week: saw the new musical of Love's Labour's Lost at Central Park and the Hudson Warehouse production of King Lear at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, and dined with S at Kittichai (although they have the health department's dreaded "grade pending" sign).

No comments: