Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Putting Two and Two Together

When we were at MoMA for the Magritte exhibit last month, we also roamed about a bit in another gallery, and there were two works (in two different rooms) that particularly caught my eye.

By chance -- if chance you call it -- both were by Peter Blume.

The first was a black and white drawing (pencil on paper) from 1934, entitled Iris and Pansies.  I took note of the artist because I was struck by the appealingly old-fashioned photorealism of the drawing.

The next was a beautiful oil painting, Landscape with Poppies (1939).  To my surprise and delight, it was also by this same mysterious artist.

But when I ran a google search on Peter Blume today, imagine my astonishment to realize that I had already discovered and loved another of his paintings back in April!  Yes, he also painted The Rock (1944-48), a dreamlike and surreal work which I'd ogled at great length at the Art Institute of Chicago.




No comments: