Sunday, December 14, 2014

Déjà Muse

For some years, I've been saving a piece of paper bearing these reflections in my very best print-scrawl:
You wrote me poems
In lines of five-seven-five;
That’s déjà-haiku!  
I’ve had enough of LAX to last me a lifetime - I have a sense of déjà flew. 
Why must we stop for a bathroom break every five minutes?  Déjà loo. 
I built a better mousetrap, but someone beat me to the patent office.  Déjà new. 
Prêt à … briser (glassware or divorce)
coucher (hotel or brothel)
nager (swimwear or tanning)
couper (haircut, tailor, circumcision)
danser (nightclub)
tirer (shooting range)
viser (archery)
marcher (shoes)

Other possibilities for businesses in the Prêt à Manger mould abound, but of course they must be two-syllable French verbs ending with "er" (we can't have an establishment named Prêt à Lire now, can we?).  I'm thinking Prêt à Virer could be a firm specializing in job terminations, or possibly an immigration enforcement agency.  

No comments: