Saturday, May 19, 2018

Lost

So, I bought a USB floppy drive to see if I could recover a few files from my old floppies.  Unfortunately, the ones I most wanted were inaccessible on two different computers.

I'd been hoping to find my paper from Flieger's Arthurian Legends class, since I rather uncharacteristically don't seem to have kept the hard copy, as well as some short movies I'd made in an animation class back in 1995 or 1996.  I have a floppy helpfully labeled "Self-extracting Compact Pro archives of Director movies: juggler, runner, 7-11, & concert hall" and another labeled "Demo - 3 movies / self-extracting projector files." (I'd been proud of the juggler animation and unreasonably pleased with a fairly simple animation inspired by Lem's short story "How the World Was Saved.")

But I think I've spent enough time, money, and effort attempting to retrieve these items -- already wildly disproportionate to even their subjective value to me.  I'll give myself 24 hours to reconsider, but I think it's time to give all 22 floppies the heave-ho.

No comments: