Thursday, May 17, 2018

μπισκότο (per Tara D)

Feeling a little gloomy, so I'll list my key accomplishments today:

  • picked up a new pair of glasses and contact lens prescription renewal;
  • got a colleague started on a last-minute presentation he's being pressured to do, without getting drawn in to do any of the work (bonus: with the materials I gave him, he went from desperation and despair to more or less full-on optimism about pulling this off by Tuesday);
  • bought a chocolate chip cookie for a random stranger who was dithering about whether or not to buy one;
  • talked another colleague off the ledge for now by assuring her that it was ok to do only the urgent stuff at this time and let the other stuff go by for a bit (which is true);
  • knocked out one of two urgent projects.
I think the cookie purchase was by far the most satisfactory.  It had the element of surprise and delight, the sudden joyous turn of eucatastrophe; indeed, for the recipient, a sudden and miraculous grace: never to be counted on to recur.  Plus, baked goods were two for $5 so I got myself a pear scone in the bargain.

No comments: