Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Echoes

As I work my slow way through Havelok the Dane while taking Old Norse, it's fun to see some familiar words creep in.  

For example: 
Bitauhte hise children þre
Godard to yeme, and al his fe.
(ll. 2212-13)
I don't see "fe" in Clark Hall & Merritt's Anglo Saxon Dictionary,* but it's one of the first Old Norse words I learned.  Byock gives it as: " <gen fjár, gen pl fjá> n cattle, sheep; wealth, money."


And of course our beloved middle-earth makes an appearance:
In þis middelerd nis no knith
Half so strong, ne half so with.
(ll. 2244-45)
Since Drout and Goering started us off with "Cædmon's Hymn," this was actually one of the first Anglo Saxon words I encountered (normalized as middan-ġeard in Pope/Fulk's Eight Old English Poems).  And then in Old Norse, we have Miðgarðr (as normalized in Byock's Viking Language I).


====
*Update: alasnotme points out the Anglo-Saxon equivalent is "feoh".  Per Clark Hall & Merritt (citations omitted), we have:
fēo = feoh; also ds. of feoh.
feoh n gs. fēos, ds. fēo cattle, herd; movable goods, property; money, riches, treasure. wið licgendum fēo for ready money.  name of the rune for f.  ['fee']

No comments: