Friday, August 14, 2020

The Road Not Taken

For present purposes, let's say I left The Firm at a phase when associates are expected to start working harder and longer to take a shot at becoming a partner.  But what I knew for sure was that I wanted to be working shorter hours – and that I had no interest in owning a law firm. 

I've never regretted this decision.  

In today's Carolyn Hax column, I get a glimpse of what my life could have been like had I forged ahead on the traditional path: 

I recently resigned from my position as a partner at a law firm where I have worked for many years. I killed myself to make partner but once I made it, I began to realize that it just wasn’t worth it. I’m so burnt out that I’m not even looking for another position at this point in time; I want to take the next six months or so to recover. My husband is ecstatic about my decision since he’s seen what this job has been doing to me but everyone else in my life is questioning my decision[.]

The main difference is that I would have burned out completely alone.   


No comments: