Saturday, April 28, 2007

Running update

The good news is that I've only missed my weekly run 3 times in the first 4 months -- and one of those times, I went rollerblading up and down the length of the Hudson River bike path, which isn't the same as running, but still counts for something. The bad news is that when I went running today, I only went for 0.8 miles. I blame this partly on my iPod, which is up to its usual tricks: playing only about 10 of the 200 songs I've loaded on to it. The others it passes by like exits on a highway. You can't fool it into playing the songs it wants to skip by (a) putting them onto a playlist, (b) accessing them through different menus [e.g., songs vs. albums vs. artist vs. recently played vs. shuffle], (c) turning the iPod off and on again, (d) using the "reset all settings" feature, or (e) deleting all the songs, upgrading to the new iPod software, and then reinstalling the songs again from iTunes. Luckily the iPod is still under warranty - so I'll probably go in to the store this afternoon and wait in line for an hour to exchange it for a different one. Grrrr. Now I have to get my act together so I can get to a friend's party in NJ before it's over. They're moving to Los Angeles, worse luck. Although I might see them there more often, come to think of it....

2 comments:

Runner NYC said...

Are these songs you downloaded from iTunes or that you transferred from your computer? If you transferred them from your computer, you have to make sure they've been converted to iTunes' format so your iPod can play them.

LeesMyth said...

I used iTunes to load all the songs from my computer into my iPod. There is nothing wrong with the song files themselves. About 20-30% of the time my iPod works properly and plays all the songs. Then if I skip two songs in a row, suddenly the iPod doesn't want to play any more songs.

But I went to the so-called Genius Bar yesterday morning and the guy did what I did before - deleted everything and restored the factory settings. He thought I might have had a corrupted "restore" file (which would not be surprising, since the iPod started skipping songs the first time I used it). We shall see if he was a genius or not by how well my iPod performs hereafter.