Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

Was relaxing and fun overall. Saturday featured a PATH train ride into the WTC, followed by dinner with E, S, J, & L at Patsy's Pizza. Port Authority went to town with these cool neon lights over the escalator:



Here's a short clip of the ride alongside the WTC construction site:


Sunday, I went for a picnic in Central Park, skated from Bowling Green to 42nd Street around sunset, and still managed to catch an evening service at Redeemer that helped make up for the dirges and fluff earlier in the day.

Monday, I took an early yoga class, went for brunch, and skated from 14th to 81st and back - unfortunately this involved slogging through the Fleet Week crowds at the former site of the Intrepid. Ordinarily I take lots of pictures while rollerblading, but I didn't notice any remarkable new sculptures this time, and it seemed somehow discourteous to take a picture of a cute guy on rollerblades who wiped out as he was skating near me. So instead here are pictures of people taking advantage of FREE KAYAKING ON THE HUDSON:


And a modern day pirate ship (arrrrrr):


I was tempted to buy another pair of skates (because of course I need one at the office as well as one at home and one in Florida), but I resisted ... for now. The sales personnel made it easier by not asking me if I wanted to try on the skates I was looking at.

It was even easier not to buy an AirBook that was 10x more expensive than the skates and which I would primarily use for work. (The purchase would kind of make sense, because it is a lot cheaper than back surgery if I have to constantly lug around the clunky laptop provided by my employer. But I don't have to use a laptop at all during the summer, so I'll just wait 3 months and see what happens to the price.)

Of course now, looking back on it I feel a little unpatriotic because I really didn't do much to boost the U.S. economy, even with the extra day off. And I didn't stand around in the hot sun for Fleet Week either. But then again, I skated by dozens of military folk without knocking their hats off or whatever - surely that counts for something.

1 comment:

Runner NYC said...

Don't forget that you'll need a USB hub with that MacAir - no internal drives and only one USB port!!