Saturday, August 30, 2008

Retreat

This week, I had the opportunity to test-drive a pied-a-terre in midtown Manhattan. The experience convinced me that it would be easier simply to move into Manhattan (which I'm curiously reluctant to do) rather than shuttling everything back and forth as needed.

However, it was convenient for a morning meeting at the City Bar (my last as secretary, hooray!) and for catching Metro-North for a full day near White Plains. It was also easy to go up to Ft. Tryon Park to catch Gorilla Rep's "Hamlet" - somewhat different cast than before, but the same strong, healthy, All-American Ophelia (she's a good actress but just not delicate enough to descend convincingly into madness). On Thursday, I skated to and from work, which was great!!! I didn't really take full advantage of midtown, I suppose, since Wicked was sold out the night I wanted to see it, but I took the opportunity to relax and contemplate a few psalms.

The darker side of the experience: if I actually lived in midtown, I would easily spend 10+ hours a day at the Apple store.

No comments: