Sunday, August 10, 2008

Brookyn Botanic Garden (July 5)

Didn't take any pictures on the hike yesterday in Black Rock Forest (though we saw another snake - this time black with longitudinal yellow stripes). So I figured I'd play catch-up with some photos from the Independence Day weekend instead.

My parents were in town, and decided to stop in at the BBG. My little nieces are both called "sweet pea" so I thought it would be appropriate to take a picture of one:


My favorite spot in the BBG is the Japanese hill-and-pond garden (though I still miss the crane statues):

There were turtles at the base of the waterfalls:


I want to say this was an Austrian pine - or at least it was a tree whose name (but not its shape) reminded me of the Australian pines that topple so easily in Florida storms:


The lily pond was bedecked with flowers:



A few raindrops caught in the large leaves of the "angel wing" lotus (aka sacred lotus):


A new lotus bud, with ordinary water lilies in the background for scale:

These variegated blossoms were bright and cheerful...


...and thrived among the daisies:


A closeup of delicate petals:

We were not close enough to smell the "lemon scent" water lilies:

I loved the way the colors melted into each other:

The bees absolutely loved these orange flowers (bluets?):


We ended our tour at the bonsai greenhouse. I particularly liked this specimen:


Some of the bonsai trees were over 100 years old. Others were quite young. It's an interesting hobby; it probably doesn't take a lot of time on any given day, and yet must require continued attention over many years to develop a particular shape.

No comments: