Monday, December 08, 2008

MoMA Monday

Turns out MoMA is open late on Mondays, which is pretty cool. So I saw the Van Gogh exhibit. I liked this picture (from 1888), though it's clearly not the distinctive VG style yet. The colors of sunset in sky and sea were smooth and beautiful -- even the green in the sky works here -- and the simple silhouettes are formed and expressive.


This one, also from 1888, was also quite nice... though the stars made me think of fireflies. (Those stripes on the painting are not pillars, but reflections of dock or pier lights on the water.)
Afterward, I checked out the Architecture & Design II exhibit. A lot of cool stuff there. I liked this screen, called "Algae", made of many individual branches that can be connected and reconnected to each other in many ways:


I totally want this chain-mail Headscarf (2003), created by an American-born Israeli:


And a flashback to Sunday, in which Sony shows the holiday spirit:

No comments: