Friday, December 19, 2008

Thanksgiving: Ospreys & Stars

Thanksgiving week in Florida was thick with ospreys. The first day, we saw them from afar, seeking fish in the waters in front of the beach house:

Then at the eastern end of the island, we saw them relatively close-up in a nest built on a man-made platform:

The detail was amazing:

Later in the week, we actually saw one flying with a fish in its claws, the way they are portrayed in the Northwest. So cool!!

My brother spotted a live starfish in the shallow waters near a pen shell:


It was chilly at night, so I procrastinated my star-gazing activities until the very last day. It was so lovely. I just wish I could see the night like this all the time. Unfortunately, even on the "starry sky" setting with the maximum exposure (60 seconds), my camera doesn't do it justice:


I often feel such peace and joy away from New York. If only it were that easy...!

No comments: