Sunday, December 14, 2008

Light and Shadow

It was a good but busy weekend, with Christmas parties, service projects, and concerts. One hour stood out from the rest - a moving presentation/book-reading by Joe Vedella.

I had a chance, over the course of the weekend, to enjoy three of my favorite activities - dancing, singing, and being silly with kids. Yes, the silliness factor was very high when I volunteered to help with the children of parents shopping at His Toy Store. We tried lots of different animal walks (frogs, crabs, kangaroos, snakes, penguins, sharks...), did the hokey pokey, and made paper airplanes. They thought it was hilarious when I would "chase" them around the room (using a very slow and stiff-legged walk like a windup T-Rex and saying "Rahr, rahr") ... and of course even more hilarious when I would pretend to be terrified when they did the same thing back to me. I think kids don't mind much what the rules of the game are, as long as they get to win over the grown-ups.

This view caught my eye after the His Toy Store event. Something about the quality of the light, but I also liked the ladder that almost seems to lead up to the steeple. There's a sermon in there somewhere, as Dr. Tewell would say.



Today, after caroling on Fifth Avenue and a late lunch at Chipotle Grill (carnitas burrito bol - yum!), I went down to BMCC to meet some friends for a Messiah sing-along. The 4 featured vocalists were very good, although I particularly liked the tenor (Samuel Kinsey) and soprano (Shannah Timms).

As for the audience? Well, we all did our best. But it's so much easier for me if I sit with other altos. Instead, I was sitting between a tenor and a baritone. Oh well.

At intermission, I stepped outside to this amazing view:



The soaring torso didn't really grab me on the way in, but with the changed sky, it was pretty cool:

I've tried to capture a slice of the sky here as well:


Now I've just finished two loads of laundry, which is a nice stairmaster-type workout to help round out the weekend. What more could a girl ask for?

No comments: