Friday, January 01, 2010

Welcome 2010!

For New Year's Eve, I dined out in K-town with my Redeemer home fellowship group plus some additional folks I'd not met before (mostly friends of Jean Soo or Ryan) who were quite nice. I ordered a dumpling soup, which was delicious.

Afterward, I welcomed in the new year with a 2-hour yoga party. It was so good! We started by saying farewell to things or people we wanted to let go of. You take a small piece of flash paper, write a word or name on it, hold it briefly to the flame of a candle, and throw it up into the air. All I can say is: Wow! A very powerful experience. (Though I might repeat this in a few months as the things I am letting go of were stubbornly rooted.) Then we went in to a seemingly regular vinyasa yoga class, but with some great music - even some dance tunes at just the right time - and with the teacher slowly lowering a paper ball at the front of the room over the course of the evening. Toward the end, we all took some regular (non-flash) paper and wrote things we'd like to have more of in 2010 as we let go of the things we don't want. Finally, as we entered corpse pose, we were lightly sprinkled with confetti! People enjoyed cake and champagne afterward. I felt so serene on the subway ride home.

Today, the annual dim sum expedition followed by mahjong. Hooray! Patricia won 4 times, I won twice, then Paul won once. In that order. We didn't quite finish the East Wind round, unfortunately, because we ran out of time. Next time, we'll play a more serious game!

A great start to the new year with friends all around.

No comments: