Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Obbligato

This year, I've been much more organized than usual in terms of buying gifts. I was done weeks ago. (Whether the recipients will like the gifts is an entirely different question -- inspiration was a bit erratic.) And they are all wrapped. And some have even been given already. But I've been weirdly unmotivated to do a lot of other things. Like packing for my trip. Or figuring out whether I'm taking a bus or renting a car from Boston. Part of the problem is that my hosts will be coming back from their travels the same day that I've planned to arrive on their doorstep -- and I don't know what time they will be back, or even whether they might (for example) like to have a day to themselves before I show up.

But the lethargy is a bit more far-reaching and insidious than this narrow issue. I feel like I have no energy. All I want to do when I'm not out at some organized activity is crank up the heat to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, eat, sleep, and read the final Harry Potter book in French. In particular, I have been desperately avoiding writing and sending Christmas cards (really, any excuse will do). Also a bit of minimal clean-up and organization of my stuff seems incredibly daunting. (Really? In a Manhattan studio apartment? How extensive can it be???)

The mindless snacking habit is a dangerous one to foster, though luckily I have a lot of carrots, spinach, and romaine lettuce to snack on....

No comments: