Saturday, March 17, 2012

Blazing Peaches

The conditions were about as favorable as they could be, so I decided to brave the ascent up the rock face following the mysterious peach blazes.  Was it a real trail, or a will-o-the-wisp?  Where would it lead?  The pale peach markings looked like faded paint, rather than lichen, leading straight up where the yellow Undercliff Trail curved around the base of the bluff...

So I began the climb.

A view from halfway up.
I stopped to take a few photos, of course....


... but soon reached the top of the bluff.  This is where I saw the four hawks.

View from the top of the bluff: Hawks circling overhead

I noticed many rocks with these kinds of notches on the corners.
I wandered around for a while into the forest, and there really weren't any more trail markings that I could see.  But when I came back to the scenic overlook I was able to confirm that the peach splotches did in fact mark an honest-to-goodness trail.

End of the peach-blazed trail!
As it turns out, the peach trail was just a short spur from the Undercliff trail up to a scenic overlook.  I thought I might have to go back down the same way, but then I saw an unmarked path leading down a gentle slope toward a yellow blaze in the distance.  Hooray!  No re-tracing my steps!

No comments: