Saturday, March 10, 2012

Saturday Afternoon BBG

I went to yoga in the morning, did some light cleaning, then lazed around in my apartment enjoying the sunshine streaming in.  On a crisp, sunny day like this one, if I'm at home in the afternoon, it's so tempting to stay in and read in the sun-dappled room -- to enjoy the great indoors.  But then I saw a message on twitter that some of the cherry trees were in bloom, so I headed over to check it out.  

The garden was gorgeous - and much new growth since last weekend.

Contrails dissect the sky


Yellow flowering tree (dogwood?)

A scene from Hansel & Gretel? 
Buds & bloom

Backdrop to the Hill-and-Pond Garden


Spring motif?

Trellis at the Hill-and-Pond Garden

Primrose (but neither Everdeen nor Evergreen)


Pansies
This statue in the Shakespeare Garden reminded me of the butterflies that would come through our backyard  in Illinois - if you held still a minute or two and held an arm out, they would land on you.  So cool.

Girl with Butterfly
 This one reminds me of a pansy, but I'm pretty sure it has a different name:



Magnolias in bud & bloom
A tangle of magnolias

Goldfish in the lily pond (no lilies or lotuses yet)

White flowering trees

Crocuses decked out with seeds from a neighbor tree

Attercop! Attercop! Down you drop! You'll never catch me up your tree!

Holly

Ivy

Azalea

Weathervane over the Children's Garden

Poplars?

Young willow leaves backlit in the late afternoon sun



As it turned out, just two cherry trees -- one on the Cherry Esplanade, and one further in -- were blooming.  The rest were bare.  


Cherry Esplanade - with X's carved in the ground (for fertilizer?)
Daffodils & violets?

No comments: