Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hudson Highlands Hike - Sounds

I went up to Cold Spring to do my favorite Undercliff / Breakneck loop, and I did NOT miss the turnoff to stay on Undercliff this time!

The woods were rich with bird (and frog) song from the very start of the hike, although I did not know I'd been hearing frogs until late in the day.  Even at the top of the first hill, there was bird song aplenty:

 

Because the weather was so fabulous, I also followed a peach-blazed trail up a steep scramble to the top of a bluff, where I saw four hawks circling around. (The peach trail had caught my eye before, but it's not marked on the maps and I wasn't sure where it would go.)  It was pretty neat from within the trees, because when the hawks would swoop low, their shadows loomed large over me...  I wasn't quite able to capture that on camera, but here's the best I could do.

Enraptured by raptors:

 



There was a group of kids (maybe college kids) who were gathered around a pond high up on the Breakneck trail.  The pond was thick with frogs -- the water was roiling with them -- and two of the guys were trying to catch them in their baseball caps.  (They caught one while I watched.)

   

This particular hike was 11 miles (including walk to/from the train station), and I once again failed to set any land-speed records: it took me about 6.5 hours, including photo stops etc.  

No comments: