Sunday, July 22, 2012

Skating Jaunt

I got up early enough to get a good start on hiking, but just didn't have the heart for it.  Something low-key and local was in order.

So I walked down to Bowling Green to start skating.


En route, I saw the Battery Urban Farm, an entity whose existence I had not even suspected.  Apparently we are invited to buy shares in this as a CSA type thing.  It's not much to look at, but I am very tempted...

The Battery Urban Farm



"NO CLIMBING
NO HANGING"
How cruel -- these serpentine structures call out to be climbed!!!


Private Passage by Malcolm Cochran

As I headed further uptown, I encountered several new sculptures, mostly part of the "Model to Monument" program.

Red Arches (2012) by Roberto Franzone 

Cope (2012) by Damien Armondo Vera 




Coalescence (2012) by Renata Pugh

Yes, it looks like a skull. Made out of aluminum.

Morning glory growing around the branches.

Stopped at the Pier i Café for a hot dog and a nice rest in the shade.
This seemingly rusting old paddlewheel may actually be a sculpture at Pier 66 (north Chelsea) apparently installed in 2007:

But the pier’s most unique feature is a dynamic and kinetic public artwork – “Long Time”, by local artist Paul Ramirez Jonas. “Long Time”, a 26-foot diameter water wheel constructed of stainless steel, harkens back to the river’s milling history and turns unpredictably with the tide and wind.


Is this the "Long Time" kinetic sculpture? 
I liked the bright green speedboat, which raced back and forth a bit.




Sunflower
I saw several butterflies today when I stopped on shady benches.  Apparently, they've been planting stuff specifically to attract butterflies and other insects.


Thistle



On the way home, I stopped at a street fair and got a fresh-made watermelon mango smoothie.  Yum!  I've been craving watermelon.

In the evening, I took a yoga class focusing on back and core health.  Nice and relaxing.  



No comments: